Monday, August 15, 2011

Do you have good hair?


Over the weekend I watched this documentary by Chris Rock: Good Hair. While Chris Rock takes it from the African-American perspective, I don't care if you are black, white, red, yellow, or purple - ALL women can relate to it! What women go through and sacrifice all for the love of our hair and most importantly our self esteem! Maya Angelou said it best when she said (and I'm majorly paraphrasing here) that women celebrate hair together. It's like a right of passage with our mothers and friends and sisters. Our hair makes us feel feminine and plays a part in our self worth. Aside from all the serious things I got from it - I also laughed out loud. Chris Rock is pretty damn funny.

Husband even got sucked into it with me because he heard me laughing and talking back to the T.V. I SO recommend watching it!!

I've been painstakingly trying to grow my hair out. When I got married, my hair was long and amazing! And for some unknown reason (maybe because I'm crazy), I cut it. And when I got it cut, I got a bad hair cut. So I had to keep cutting it to repair the damage from the bad haircut. So since then I've been trying to grow it out. Some days I want to shave my head; other days I'd just like to snip it to my shoulders. BUT Husband loves my hair long. So we made a deal - if he keeps his beard (it gets really hot in the summer for him! But I love it so) then I'll keep my long hair. It works for us.

I'm heading to get my hair colored tomorrow and I already have pictures and everything to show my wonderful, amazing, I-would-die-without-her hair stylist. I haven't colored my hair in awhile and I'm excited! Isn't funny how something so simple as hair color would be such a huge pick-me-up?!

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment